New York University School of Law, J.D., 1983
Fordham University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1980
• Phi Beta Kappa
Anthony Casareale has a real estate practice that is national in scope, closing transactions for real estate owners, developers, investors and lenders in Florida, New York and throughout the United States. Anthony represents, and has represented private equity firms and investment banks, as well as individual investors and developers.
Anthony has extensive experience representing owners in a broad range of leasing and asset management matters in Florida and nationally. He has consummated office, retail and industrial leases affecting over 8 million square feet of space. He has advised clients on leases ranging from 1,000 square feet to over 200,000 square feet, some involving Fortune 500 companies. Anthony routinely handles telecommunications agreements, construction contracts, brokerage agreements, property management agreements, as well as advising clients dealing with defaulting and bankrupt tenants.
Anthony has advised clients in distressed markets needing workout and restructuring advice, as well as private equity firms looking to acquire distressed assets.
Prior to forming Casareale & Partners, Mr. Casareale was a Partner with Pircher Nichols & Meeks and Windels Marx in New York and Akerman in Miami.
Professional and Community Involvement
- Adjunct Professor, University of Miami School of Law (Fall, 2010)
- Advisory Board Member, National Association of Industrial and Office Properties (NAIOP)
- Panelist, Practicing Law Institute (PLI), “Commercial Real Estate Leasing” and “Commercial Real Estate Workout and Restructuring
- Editorial Board Member and Contributing Author, Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy
- Roundtable Moderator, ICSC Law Conference
- Panelist, ULI Program
- Moderator and Panelist, IMN’s “Distressed Real Estate Symposium”
- Member, New York City Bar Association Committee that published the joint NYS and NYC Bar Association Office Lease Form.
Acquisitions, Dispositions and Financings
- Representation of Luxury Resorts & Hotels, a Blackstone Group owned company operating luxury hotel resorts in Florida, the Caribbean and throughout the United States, in connection with $137 million construction loan for development of luxury condominiums at The Boca Resort & Beach Club.
- Representation of Lehman Brothers in a joint venture acquisition of a portfolio with over 2,000 garden apartments in Broward and Palm Beach Counties, Florida for over $300 million structured as a master lease.
- Representation of Starwood Capital Group in the acquisition and financing of a residential apartment complex in Winter Park, Florida from an institutional real estate fund for over $40 million.
- Representation of Lehman Brothers joint venture in the acquisition and subsequent sale of a Brickell Avenue office building in Miami.
- Representation of a developer in connection with a $20 million construction loan and $3.7 million mezzanine construction loan for the development of an office condominium project in South Miami, Florida.
- Representation of Pyramid Companies, the largest private regional mall owner in the United States, in connection with securitized mortgage loans for 20 regional malls aggregating over $3 billion with global investment banks such as Deutsche Bank, Nomura, Eurohypo, and Bear Stearns.
- Representation of Starwood Property Trust, a mortgage REIT, in a $73,500,000 loan secured by mortgages encumbering 17 Extended Stay hotels in several states.
- Representation of Starwood Capital Group in the sale of apartment projects and office buildings aggregating over $600 million in Arizona, California, Connecticut, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina and throughout the United States.
- Representation of a New York investment back in the sale of shopping centers in Alabama, Iowa, Kansas, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Texas for over $125 million.
- Representation of Lehman Brothers in the joint venture acquisition of an office building in Washington, D.C. and subsequent sale of a 49% interest to Tishman Speyer Properties for over $109 million.
- Representation of Starwood Capital in the sale of ground lease interests in an office park and hotel to GE Capital.
- Representation of Lehman Brothers in the acquisition of the Watergate Hotel in Washington, D.C. with mortgage and mezzanine loans for the renovation and condominium conversion of the property.
- Representation of a Lehman Brothers joint venture in the sale of net leased building to IBM in suburban Washington, D.C. to a private REIT structured as a sale of membership interests for $79 million.
- Representation of Lehman Brothers in the sale of Riverside Square Mall, a 600,000 regional shopping mall in New Jersey, to a REIT for over $90 million.
- Representation of a retail REIT in the acquisition and assemblage of downtown “street retail” buildings.
Distressed Real Estate
- Representation of owner/developer in connection with a $500 million equity and debt recapitalization with Goldman Sachs of Downtown Dadeland, a mixed use project in Miami, Florida.
- Representation of an investment firm in a joint venture acquisition and financing of 341 unsold condominiums in Boca Raton, Florida.
- Representation of mezzanine lender in the membership interest acquisition in lieu of foreclosure of the sponsor of a condominium conversion in Jacksonville, Florida, and the subsequent recapitalization of the property with a New York-based mezzanine lender and bank.
- Representation of a bank in the sale of over 5,000 REO and loan assets to investment banks for over $500 million.
- Representation of investment firms in deed-in-lieu transactions and debit/equity restructuring.
- Representation of landlord in headquarters leases for News Corporation and The CIT Group in Manhattan, General Atlantic Partners in Connecticut and for Level 3 in Boston.
- Representation of landlord in relocation/takeover agreements with Fortune 500 companies affecting over 500,000 square feet of space.
- Representation of landlord in leases with several major law firms.
- Representation of landlord in roof licensing agreements with NBC for television satellites.
- Representation of landlord and tenants in retail transactions including with B.R. Guest, The Gap, Morgan Stanley/Dean Witter, Charles Schwab and Starbucks.
Some Leasing Publications
- “Lease Takeover Structures,” Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy, March 2012.
- “Executing Leases Faster and Cheaper-Revisiting the Strategies,” Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy, April 2011.
- “Getting a Lease Signed in 20 Days,” Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy, September 2011.
- “Strategies for Executing Office Leases in Major Urban Markets Faster and at a Lower Cost,” Commercial Leasing Law & Strategy, January 2002.
- “Understanding Space Options,” a paper presented at the American Bar Association’s Annual Conference in August 1996 to the Commercial Leasing Committee of the Real Property, Probate and Trust Section.